Did You Know......
* 1/3 of all vegetables and fruits produced are pollinated by honey bees. Depending on the crop, some fruits would not develop without pollination from honey bees. With other crops, me might get fruit, just not the same amount or quality we desire. Ever see a lopsided apple or pumpkin? That is a sign of improper or a lack of, pollination. Without the honey bee, many things in nature would be "lopsided".
* Some estimates range from 50-80% of the world's food supply being directly or indirectly affected by honey bee pollination. Whether it's pollination of apples, or pollination of the seeds used to produce grain for livestock, the food chain is linked to honey bees. The world's production of food is dependant on pollination provided by honey bees.
* Honey bees provide the most "green" sweetener you can buy. Buying local honey is the "greenest" purchase for most food products. Become a "localvore" and help the environment, the farmers, and the honey bees.
* Honey bees provide among others things: honey, beeswax, propolis, pollen, royal jelly, apitherapy, enjoyment, and an income for some beekeepers.
* Honey bees have been managed and have sustained farming practices as far back as 4500 years.
* Einstein did NOT say the world would end in four years without honey bees. However, we certainly would have to change farming practices if that happened. Food prices would soar without the industrious honey bee. Be grateful the honey bees work so hard, and can be managed. We need to respect that, and be good stewards of not just the honey bee, but the entire environment.
* Bees and bee products have been used in many areas of health. From bee sting apitherapy for arthritis to antibiotic treatment with honey for burn victims. Studies have shown that relief of a sore throat is higher with honey, than most over the counter medicines available.
* Bee provide products that are used in the horse industry such as hoof salves (propolis), a host of varied medicinal applications (propolis/honey), used as embalming fluid (honey), a form of currency (honey) a food source (honey, pollen, brood, bees), and even in the military service (bees). Ongoing research such suggests antibacterial and antiviral applications on a wide scope of uses, to even include cancer treatments.
* Honey bees are perfect as a measuring device for gauging the health of the environment. Bees are very sensitive to pesticides. Some pesticides have been shown to effect the honey bees with devastating and deadly results with only several parts per billions in contamination. Many of these pesticides can be bought for homeowner use and application. If it kills the bees at that level, what about the family pets or the grandkids running around the backyard barefoot? Be aware of the impacts that chemicals play. And eliminate as many as possible.